DCM Time Frame

Pjotr

Hallo,

Kan een paartje DCM TF350 vintage speakers overnemen. Deze dateren van eind jaren '80, begin jaren '90. Het schijnen transmissielijn speakers te zijn en zijn van Amerikaanse makelij. Op internet is er niet zo heel veel over te vinden.

Kent iemand deze speakers en kan er wat meer over vertellen? Ben wel nieuwsgierig of dit de moeite waard is.

;)

:) Hoi Peter,

Ik ken de Time Window van toen (1980) met doek helemaal eromheen, en wat toen uniek was i.verg.m. andere goeie weergevers was het opvallende vaste 3-d image van 't stereobeeld v/d TW's.

De latere generatie Time Frames heb ik ooit maar eentje van beluisterd, dacht de 600, en vond 'm een beetje "week" in 't totale middengebied. Maar wel ongeveer dezelfde soort " imaging " .v/h stereobeeld.

Als de prijs meevalt, zijn die 350's misschien ook more than value for money.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/...p/t-136958.html

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112134

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-114569.html

http://ebay.auction.co.kr/detail.html?item...ackPercent=99.2

This MATCHED (SERIAL #S PICTURED)pair of speakers needs a new felt covering just because there is alot of dust on them. They were on the wall for some time and have been replaced. Never worried about dusting 10 feet up so they do need new felt covering on the speaker. The speakers power up and I just gave them a final workout with the Mitsubishi Power Amp and Pre-Amp I put up LAST WEEK on ebay. They are cosmetically ok with no tears in the covering just sort of need a new look. work so they will not arrive DOA.

DCM made a name for itself in audiophile circles when they introduced the amazing DCM Time Window around 1980. The Time Frame series is a derivative of the Time Window series. The Time Frame, floor standing series, features stunning industrial design based on a transmission line cabinet. Not only nice to look at, these speakers had a ear pleasing sound. Great soundstage imaging and amazing bass out of a modest woofer. I feel these 350's have better sonics than the models up the line. This model contains a high quality 6.5" woofer and 3/4" dome tweeter with acoustic anti-diffraction lens.

The Time Frame speakers from DCM were produced in the mid 80s as an addition to the already famed Time Windows. Unlike the Time Windows,several models made up the Time Frame series of speakers. They were the TF 250,TF 350,TF 400,TF 600,TF700,TF1000 and the TF 2000. Prices ranged from $350.00 to $2,000.00 for the flagship model.

This review will deal with the DCM Time Frame 350 Model. Which has a 6 1/2" woofer and .75 inch tweeter.

The Time Frame speakers are mirror imaged speakers. Meaning there is a left and right to them. By placing the DCM Logo to the inside edges of the pair, this accompished the mirror image effect. Like the Time Windows they have a foam covering that encircles the entire speaker, with wood trim at the top and bottom of the speaker. The rear connections are spring loaded levers to insert the speaker wire.

The DCM TF 350 can be either a large book shelf speaker or a small floor standing speaker. Making it ideal for apartment dwellers or small rooms. Weigh about 40 pounds each and measure 15 inches across the base, stand 38 inches tall and have a depth of about 6 inches. Construction is first rate and these are quite sturdy speakers. The base has a fold out pedstal for additional support, nice touch there.

At present these are powered by an Acurus DIA 100 Integrated Amplifier,with a venerable Denon DCD 1560 CD Player handling the playback. A very basic system.

The listening test was quite pleasurable and the DCM TF 350 have that distinctive Time Window sonic signature. DCM did not stray far from the Time Window success. The mirror image was a delight to hear and at times the musical presentation was near holographic.

These speakers excel at Jazz and Classical music as well as vocals. The DCM TF 350 can rock make no mistake about that, but for the over the edge rocker, it won't be their cup of tea.

First disc listen to was the jazz group Fourplay album is Elixir. What was startling was the TF 350 ability to play piano music so very well. One of the hardest test for a speaker to do. The piano has so many octaves and tonal qualities. The other was the guitar work,just uncanny at delivering each note with clarity and definition. You could sit back and listen to this four piece group and hear and visualize where they were in the recording,most impressive.

The next disc was the group Dotsero album is West of Westchester. This is a 3 piece jazz group.Saxophone,Guitar,and bass guitar. I have found that the saxophone is another instrument that is hard for speakers to reproduce without sounding grainy and causing listener fatique. However the TF 350 reproduced one of the most musical renderings of saxophone I have heard in a long time. The grain and glare of the saxophone was absent,truly remarkable. Opening track Westchester Lady was like being in the studio when it was recorded. Dotsero is a Denver,Colorado based jazz group and one gets to hear them live frequently. Listening to the TF 350 was as close to listening to them in their club as speakers can get.

The third disc was Pink Floyd album is Momentary Lapse of Reason.First track I listen to was Sorrow. Yes the TF 350 can indeed dig deep into the lower registers,with convincing authority. The opening minutes of Sorrow proved that very well.David Gilmours voice came through with enough verve that you thought he was in the room. Nick Masons drumming was crisp and tightly defined and dead center between the speakers. The mirror image effect excelled with this disc.

The DCM TF 350 speakers are not the last word in micro dynamics. New these sold for $500.00,while the Time Windows were $800.00. Like anything else in high end audio there is better. Used the TF 350 go for about $175 to $275.00. At that price I know of no other speaker that can deliver the sonics of the TF 350. I am sure there is,but I have not heard it.

So if you are on a budget or need excellent speakers for another system,here is your answer. Make no mistake the DCM TF 350 is a speaker you do not have to make an excuse for,it can stand on it's own merits quite nicely.

Beste Pjotr,

DCM Time Window kostte $ 800 p.st. De Time Frame (tweewegsysteempje) was veel goedkoper: $ 500.

Time Window heb ik enkele keren beluisterd; Time Frame nooit.

Time Window vond ik uitermate mat, duf, saai, glansloos en flauw klinken.

En veel te duur ook nog: er zaten dezelfde (Scandinavische en Nederlands/Belgische units in als in de Kekko Beta, als ik me goed herinner, klonk minder goed dan de Kekkoh, en kostte twee keer zoveel. (En die Kekkoh w

Bedankt Spido voor het verhaal maar dergelijke verhalen had ik al gevonden op het web. Heb de speakers vanmiddag opgehaald om eens te zien wat het voorstelt. Maarreh... 95 cm hoge speakers kan ik niet echt boekenplankspeakers meer noemen.

Het zijn zo te zien en horen geen rock of PA speakers en ze zijn denk ik ook niet jouw smaak. En als de kosten voor eventuele reparatie vergelijkbaar zijn met wat ze moeten kosten valt het reuze mee. Afijn van het weekend ze maar eens wat beter aan de tand voelen.

;)

(...) ze zijn denk ik ook niet jouw smaak (...)

Beste Pjotr,

Smaak speelt geen rol bij mijn beoordeling. Een goede high fidelity luidspreker is geschikt voor rock, jazz, klassiek, barok, opera, hiphop, techno, oratorium... Is een alleseter, dus.

Tsja Spido, die Kekkoh's, tell me more, tell me more. Heb er laatst een smetteloos paar a 100,= voorbij laten gaan door gebrek aan kennis van vaderlandse speakerhistorie. Zonde. Pas later las ik wat van de sporadische info op Internet, en jij schijnt er meer van te weten?

• 14 years later...

Heb zelf nieuw ooit de TF400 gekocht, van 2000 voor 1600 guldentjes toen!, ik denk rond ‘94 = zijn subliem.

later de TF700, maatje groter ên beter, ik durf niet te gokken wat die nieuw zouden hebben gekost maar zijn ietsje ouder volgens mij.

heb ze nog, de 400 heeft een geluidje in een schuimmanchet wat niet goed klinkt maar is reparabel lees ik.

kabel verbinding van de TF700 achter wil ik  vervangen van die gekke klemmetjes naar tulpstekker , iemand suggesties of dat zelf makkelijk te doen is of dat iemand dat als hobby/ bijverdienste doet?, dank en groet, Mark

Hoi Mark,

Mijn google heeft het wel lastig gehad maar ik gok dat het deze speakers zijn?

https://www.hifihangar.co.uk/blog/dcm-timeframe-tf-700-refurb

In dat geval zou ik daar geen tulp strekkers gebruiken.

Die zijn namelijk geluid op lijn niveau van het ene naar het andere apparaat te krijgen.

Wel is het mogelijk om een set speaker klemmen te plaatsen.

Denk dan aan onderstaande terminals.

https://www.rumoh.eu/accessories/terminals/?p=1

Geeft dat een beetje een idee van wat er mogelijk is?

Maak anders eens een foto van de aansluiting die je aangepast wil hebben.

Je kunt hier foto's plaatsen door je foto op een fotohosting site te plaatsen en daar naar te linken.

• 4 weeks later...